A single girl, kissing a lot of frogs

Monday, November 8, 2010

Survey says...

Well, dear readers, I have heard your cries for more and agree that it is time for an update. That last you heard from me, I was recovering from the disastrous lunch date with GP.

After finally calling it a day, I thought I had put that whole awkward situation behind me and was free to move on. Turns out, not so much...

Late that evening I was enjoying some beverages with friends, celebrating the end of the working week and just generally how fabulous we are, when my phone beeped with an email from him.

Curiosity got the better of me and I checked it to discover GP was asking for an assessment report!

I quote:

"I would like to take the (unusual for me) step of actually asking you for feedback. Like everything in life, dating can be improved."

Unbelievable, right?!

He went on to ask a series of questions including 'What do you think is good about my on-line profile?', 'What would you recommend changing about my profile?', ‘Any feedback you may have re me as a date companion' and 'Any other comments or thoughts?'.

I was torn between being shocked at what an incredible dork this guy was turning out to be, and really feeling sorry for him - as I assume it would have taken quite some courage to ask for what could potentially have been unpleasant critique.

After a few days of pondering, I decided to respond and attempt to offer some gentle, yet hopefully helpful advice.

I began by complimenting him on his 'dating 'technique' and profile (after all, he made it really easy to set up a place and time and was a perfect gentleman), before gently easing into the 'however'…

"While I fully believe that its important to be yourself and honestly represent who you are, such obvious openness can come across as a bit overwhelming.

"I could tell as soon as meeting you that 'what you see is what you get' and you weren't holding anything back. That can be a really good thing because it showed you were comfortable with who you are and I got a sense of getting to know you very quickly.

"But maybe its that age old classic of 'leaving them wanting more' and keeping a little bit of mystery? We started delving into some very big philosophical conversations straight away and I enjoy intellectual stimulation but it might be a good idea to keep things a bit lighter while you're still getting to know someone?"

With a deep breath, and a quick prayer that I wasn't about to deeply offend, I hit send.

Thankfully, GP replied quite quickly thanking me for my constructive feedback and saying he would take my advice on board.

As for his assessment of me? Well, yes he did return the favour.

After complimenting me on my 'gorgeous' profile photo (which he described as very honest and reflective of who I am in person) he summarised with a final impression that I was "a friendly, smart and articulate women with a zest for life."

What can I say, he's only human!




1 comment:

  1. Love it! And while I agree it is a little unorthodox to ask for feedback on your dating technique it is quite ingenious of him.

    Good to see your feedback was excellent though.

    ReplyDelete